Certificate of MeritTM (CM)
(as administered by the MTAC)
To Parents and Students,
The Music Teachers’ Association of California (MTAC) sponsors a music study program entitled Certificate of Merit (CM). Initiated in 1933, the CM Program now involves approximately 30,000 students annually statewide. There are evaluation opportunities for students of Piano, Violin, Cello, Viola, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, Baritone/Euphonium Horn, Voice and Harp.
Goals of Certificate of Merit:
- To provide a systematic and comprehensive plan to develop performance skill, technique, ear training, sight reading/singing and understanding of music theory.
- To develop practical goals to help students maintain a steady and focused approach to their musical studies.
- To encourage students to strive for musical excellence.
- To create opportunities in which students may share their music with others.
How the CM Program Works:
- A detailed CM Syllabus has been created and designed for each of the above-mentioned instruments. There are specific set requirements for each of the eleven CM levels. Your child’s teacher will decide on the level that is appropriate.
- Student Registration takes place from September 15 through November 15. Your child’s teacher will register your child through our secure online registration system. Students must be age 5 or older as of November 15 (the CM Registration Deadline) to participate in the CM Program.
- Students work with their teachers on selected literature, technique elements, sight reading, theory and ear training for their enrolled level.
- Registered students participate in an annual Evaluation program, which is conducted from mid-February through April.
- Based on the Evaluation, students receive a written musical performance assessment.
- Students will also complete a written theory exam, which includes an ear training component.
- Upon successful completion of all components of the Evaluation, students receive an official MTAC CM Certificate.
- Senior medallions will be awarded to eligible high school seniors.
- Students who demonstrate exceptional skill at his/her Evaluation may be selected to perform at annual MTAC State Convention Recitals.
Your child(ren) will benefit tremendously from this wonderful educational opportunity and experience.
To Learn More
Contact us to learn more about this program to see if it is a fit for you or your child.